Week Seven

 “The history of organized education and training can be viewed as a long struggle to extend opportunities to more people and to devise means of helping those people learn better than through the events of everyday life” (Molenda, 2008, 5).

I earned my B.S. in Education in 2003 and though I’ve not spent many years in the classroom since then I’ve been under the education umbrella enough to see the pendulum swing right and left a few times. There will always be a next best thing. A next best end all be all that turns out to just be another swing of the pendulum. Always things to be learned but there will never be a ‘one size fits most’ solution. Even the solutions that leave lots of space for independence and not pigeonholing will never fully fit the bill.

I am frustrated with the premise of Deepak Prem Subramony’s research—that IT scholars neglect cultural diversity. Although I cannot relate personally to the level of instructional technologists, I can as a graphic designer. I worked for a nonprofit which supported early childhood education. I handled our in-house graphic design. One of the struggles I faced in every flyer, advertisement, promotion, etc was how to visually represent the educators we served as well as the children those educators served. Our scope was birth through age eight serving all over the state of Indiana. My director wanted me to find stock imagery that included kids spanning the age range, races, ethnicities, and abilities in one picture. The more I searched the more discouraged I became until I realized it was a pipedream.  And that pipedream would have been misrepresenting the population we served. From my vantage point, it was a way for my director to feel like we were diverse even if we were not. At some point, I threw in the towel and came up with other ways to ensure various groups of kids were represented visually. I recognize my experience is not everyone’s experience but I’m not sure at what point something legitimately becomes genuinely diverse. And I’m not convinced diversity is the solution. Different people need different things based on their own schema. There is no way that any solution will ever be a perfect fit for everyone or even most because we all come to the table with different things. I do think we are seeing more of a trend of poor design as opposed to when the research was completed and reported. But I believe the reasoning behind that is that anymore anyone with some basic software thinks they are capable of doing the same quality of work as trained professionals. 

 

 

Molenda, M. (2008). Historical foundations. In J. M. Spector, M. D. Merrill, J. V. Merriënboer,
& M.P. Dirscoll (Eds.), Handbook of research on educational communications and technology
(3rd ed.) (pp. 3-20). New York: Taylor & Francis Group.
Reiser, R. A. (2007). A history of instructional design and technology. In R. A. Reiser, &
J. V. Dempsey (Eds.), Trends and issues in instructional design and technology (pp. 17-
34). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson Prentice Hall.
Bradshaw, A. C. (2018). Reconsidering the instructional design and technology timeline from
the lens of social justice. TechTrends, 62, 336-344.
Subramony, D. P. (2004). Instructional technologists' inattention to issues of cultural diversity
among learners. Educational Technology, 19-24.
Cho, Y., Park, S., Jo, S. J., & Suh, S. (2013). The landscape of educational technology viewed
from the ETR&D journal. British Journal of Educational Technology, 44(5). 677-694.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week Three

Week Ten - Strategic Direction